2017 Lund Conference on Earth System Governance issues call for papers

Feb. 18, 2017

Scientists studying a number of aspects of earth system governance are invited to submit abstracts fort he 2017 Lund Conference on Earth System Governance, which will be held Oct. 9-11, 2017 in Lund, Sweden. Abstracts are due March 15, 2017.

The 2017 Lund Conference will focus on the overarching theme of "allocation and access in a warming and increasingly unequal world." This theme addresses the multiple crises around the world and the uneven distribution of their impacts. A recent report from Oxfam suggests that the richest 1 percent of the world’s population now has as much wealth as the rest of the other 99 percent combined. Similarly, climate change and the challenges of mitigation and adaptation are driving further inequalities across the world. Also, climate change implies an intergenerational dimension because of the long lags between emissions and impacts. Still, inequality is more complex than simply wealth distribution and climate change impacts. Earth system governance must address the entire spectrum of environmental, social and political inequalities.

The conference theme will be addressed in five thematic streams:

  • environmental justice in earth system governance
  • conceptual understandings and progress
  • science and activism
  • theory and methodology
  • Earth system governance in turbulent times

For complete information on submitting an abstract, including due dates and the submission process, visit the 2017 Lund Conference website.